I think orange should have a prominent place in all celebrations. Of course I’m biased. Since I was small, I’ve favored orange. Orange life savers, orange gummies, orange soda. I think it’s genetic.
My son Mark loved orange from the time he could express himself: orange toys, orange foods and orange clothes. One summer he wore swim goggles everywhere he went. Not just to the pool, EVERYWHERE. When I finally asked him why he constantly wore those swim goggles he said, “Because I like orange, Mom!” To which I replied, “Yes, but Mark, your goggles are purple.” Mark said, “Maybe, but when I wear these goggles my whole world is orange.” I tried them on and sure enough, they looked like silver reflective lenses on the outside but on the inside they were orange lenses. When I put them on my eyes everything in sight was orange. He’s still that kid! He sees the world through creative, kind and colorful lenses.
I still love orange. Any citrus, really, but now I’m finding more adult ways to work this amazing fruit into my menu. Winter is the season for sweet juicy Satsuma oranges so that’s the hero in this recipe. Have you ever infused your own vodka? Sure you can buy flavored vodkas in dozens of flavors from many brands, but nothing beats a fresh batch of homemade Satsuma-infused vodka. It is a perfect way to brighten any party.
Satsuma Orange Vodka Cocktail
For the satsuma infused vodka
- 1 cup vodka
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 satsuma mandarin oranges, peeled
- ¾ cup Grand Marnier
- ¼ cup lime juice
For the cocktails
- ½ cup satsuma-infused vodka
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate liqueur
- ¼ cup sparkling water or to taste
- Lime slice, for garnish
- Combine vodka, sugar, and satsumas in a food processor or blender; process until pureed.
- Refrigerate orange mixture for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve over a 4 cup measuring cup or large bowl, pressing to extract juice.
- Discard solids.
- Stir in Grand Marnier and lime juice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add satsuma vodka and pomegranate liqueur. Shake for 15 seconds.
- Strain into a cocktail glass and top with sparkling water.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.