The following video and instructions were provided by our partner, Melissa’s Produce.
Hatch Chile season is here and it’s time to stock up on our favorite New Mexico peppers! We have the inside scoop on how simple it is to roast, peel and freeze Hatch Chiles at home so you can enjoy them all year long!
How to Roast Hatch Chiles at Home
- Place all of the Hatch Chiles you plan to roast on a baking sheet.
- Place one pepper on the burner of your stove top.
- Turn the heat up to high and roast the pepper on all sides until the exterior is blistered and charred. Be sure to use tongs when turning the pepper while on the burner.
- Remove the pepper from burner and place in a clean bowl.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with remaining peppers.
- Once all peppers are roasted, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once cool, remove the peppers from the bowl and, on a flat surface, carefully peel the charred exterior using a knife.
- Chop off the stem of each pepper, return the peppers to the bowl and rinse out the seeds.
- Once rinsed and dried, place the peppers in a Ziploc bag and freeze for up to a year.