The following article was written by Heinen’s Chief Dietitian, Melanie Jatsek RD, LD.
Peek in my freezer on any given day and you will find at least one bag of Heinen’s brand frozen fruit. My personal favorite is Heinen’s dark sweet cherries because it’s a key ingredient in my Double Chocolate Cherry Smoothie — an easy on-the-go meal solution for extra busy mornings.
A common misconception is that frozen fruit is less nutritious than fresh. But the truth is, fruit is picked when at its peak stage of ripeness and nutrition. It’s then quickly frozen to lock in flavor, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. So, when you open that bag of Heinen’s frozen strawberries, not only do you have a healthful ingredient to add to your oatmeal, but you are also getting the most nutritious berry possible.
5 Clever Ways to Use Heinen’s Frozen Fruit
- Blend into smoothies. Add ½ -1 cup of frozen berries, cherries, peaches or mango to unsweetened almond milk, along with a handful of other key smoothie ingredients and blend!
- Flavor your water. To make fruit-infused water, toss a few pieces of frozen pineapple into a glass of water and let the natural sweetness swim without having to add any sugar!
- Sweeten overnight oats. Add frozen berries to your overnight oats for a vitamin-packed breakfast tomorrow morning.
- Make a yogurt parfait. In a Mason jar, layer frozen fruit, Siggi’s plant-based coconut blend yogurt, and Purely Elizabeth granola. Top with extra fruit!
- Stir into homemade pancake and muffin batter.
What Makes Heinen’s Frozen Fruit the Best
Heinen’s has taken extra special care to ensure that all of their frozen fruit meets these high-quality standards:
- Non-GMO Project verified
- Kosher certified
- Preservative free
- No artificial flavors
- No synthetic colors
Please Note: Due to continuing supply constraints, availability of Heinen’s frozen fruit may vary from store-to-store.
Frozen fruit is a nutritious, budget friendly, no-waste freezer staple that can help you meet Fx Pillar 2 (eat the rainbow: at least one fruit and two vegetables every day). Start building your freezer inventory today with a bag or two of your favorite Heinen’s frozen fruit so you’ll never be without!