We think sinking your teeth into a juicy burger or steak is one of life’s greatest pleasures. That’s why we’ve rolled out a way to indulge in beef that’s not only healthier for you, but better for the environment, while also supporting local farmers. So fire up the grill and whip up a batch of your best rub — you’re definitely going to want to use them now that we’ve rolled out our grass-fed Local Beef to all our Ohio stores! Sourced from small farms across the state of Ohio, our Local Beef offers the unparalleled quality you expect from us, with a ton of added benefits.
What’s so special about it?
- It’s healthier for you! Being grass-fed instead of grain-fed, the beef has less total fat, but more of the types that are good for you: heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid (thought to reduce heart disease and cancer risks). It also boasts more antioxidants, including Vitamin E. And the animals are never given antibiotics or treated with hormones.
- Not only better for you, the standards our local beef farmers hold for their cattle is better for them, too. They’re raised in a low-stress environment, grazing in pastures. Our farmers know that happy, healthy animals result in better quality beef.
- Since the beef is sourced from Ohio it’s easier on the environment, too. Less resources are needed to transport it since it isn’t traveling very far.
- Furthermore, buying local beef means you can feel good knowing you’re helping out not only farmers who are incredibly dedicated to their craft, but also their communities and families.
Introducing Our Farmers!
We source our local beef from six farms throughout the state, and, while each farm is distinct, they all share a deep passion for their craft: raising quality beef.
- Glenn Farms — Located in Ashland, cows graze on 210 acres of land at Gordon Glenn’s farm.
- Marshy Meadow — Farming runs in the blood for the Townsend family. Mardy Townsend raises her herd at the farm in Windsor, taking after her mom who started farming in the 1970s.
- Gifts of Life Farmstead — Tom and Sherrie Thomas started their farm after retiring from social work and manufacturing. It’s nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in Malta, OH.
- Falb Family Farm — Matt Falb is the 4th generation of his family to farm at this location, in Orrville.
- Hope Ridge Farm — Blonde d’Aquitaine cattle raised by Brad Miller roam the lands at this Wingett Run farm.
- Swan Meadow Farm — Ken Boersma (pictured in the topmost photo) raises Blonde d’Aquitaine cattle at this farm located in Rittman.
Where can you find it?
All of our Cleveland stores have it! Look for signs highlighting our farmers and for labels that read “local grass-fed beef.” Since grass-fed beef has a slightly different flavor than grain-fed, keep your eyes peeled for in-store demos to try before you buy. And, as always, if you don’t see the cut you want or need some cooking tips, be sure to ask – our butchers are always happy to place special orders or share their favorite recipes!