What are Star Fruit?
You can find the freshest Star Fruit in Heinen’s Produce Department. Check out what’s in season by clicking here.
- Also known as carambola, starfruit gets its name from its five-pointed shape, which yields slices of juicy, tropical-flavored translucent stars when sliced
- Visually bright light-yellow exterior with a pale-yellow flesh that contains a few small, flat seeds
- Sweet and mild, the flavor has been compared to plums, grapes, pineapple and pear, with notes of lemon and tropical breezes
- Choose firm, glossy-skinned fruit with no signs of bruising
- Browning on the tips of the ridges is a sign of ripeness
- Keep refrigerated in a paper or plastic bag for about one week. Slices may also be frozen.
- Except for the seeds, the entire starfruit is edible
- Pairs nicely with desserts salad and seafood