The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Nothing goes together like a nice warm slice of apple pie and a savory egg roll. Wait, what?
Today we have a real east-meets-west dessert that’s sure to knock your socks off. I took an all-American classic, apple pie, and shoved it into crispy egg roll wrappers.
This recipe comes together in 10 minutes and will cure your apple pie cravings stat. Make these delicious treats with your apple picking bounty. If you don’t get them directly from the tree, stop by Heinen’s and grab a bag of their locally grown apples while they’re in season! My family devours these at record speed and it’s great to buy apples that help benefit small family farms. Any tart apple will do, but honeycrisp is my favorite for this recipe.
The secret to these egg rolls is the caramel cream cheese spread! Cream cheese, caramel and cinnamon are the trifecta of ingredients needed to truly create a restaurant quality dessert! When melted, they create a sweet and creamy molten center that perfectly complements the diced apples. To wrap this recipe up (literally), serve it with caramel dipping sauce on the side. Drooling yet!? Don’t be afraid to try this recipe with different fruit fillings, too! Fresh strawberries and Heinen’s strawberry cream cheese would be a heavenly combination in the spring and summer!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8 Egg Rolls
- 3 honeycrisp apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Heinen's brown sugar
- 3 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon, divided
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup caramel topping, divided
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Place the apples, brown sugar, 2 tsp. of cinnamon and corn starch into a large mixing bowl. Mix well and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 1 tsp. of cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the caramel. Set aside.
- Grab the egg roll wrappers and dampen the outer edges. Spread 1 Tbsp. of the cream cheese mixture on each wrapper and top with 2 Tbsp. of the apples.
- Fold them and fry however you like! These take around 12 minutes in the air fryer at 400°F, 15 minutes at 400°F in the oven or 2-3 minutes fried in 375°F oil.
- When the egg rolls are done, immediately roll them around in cinnamon sugar.
- Serve warm with caramel sauce topping. Enjoy!