Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
- 6 jalapeño peppers
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (use low-fat to reduce the calories)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or green onion
- 4 slices thin-cut bacon
- 12 wooden toothpicks, soaked
- Slice each pepper in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and white membrane. If you like a little heat, leave a few seeds. If you like a more mild flavor, make sure the insides are all removed. Seeds and the white membrane are where most of the heat comes from.
- Stir the cream cheese and chives (or green onion) together. Fill pepper halves with the cream cheese mixture.
- Slice bacon into 12 1 1/2-inch pieces. Wrap one piece of bacon around each filled pepper-half. Secure the bacon with a toothpick.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Arrange the peppers, filling side facing up, onto the baking sheet. Bake until the bacon is crispy and the peppers are tender; 20 to 25 minutes.