The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
Banh Mi Steak Lettuce Cups are a flavor packed, low carb meal that your family will love.
This recipe is inspired by the flavors of a Banh Mi – a French-Vietnamese sandwich typically served with picked daikon and carrot, cilantro and a protein on a fresh baguette. Today, I chose Heinen’s CARE certified steak as my protein.
When added to delicate butter lettuce, these flavors create the ultimate lettuce cup.
This recipe is great for a quick lunch, snack or even an appetizer!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 (as a meal), 6-8 (as an appetizer)
For the Steak
- 1 ½ lbs. flank or skirt steak
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
For the Lettuce Cups
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 daikon radish, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
- Tenderize steak using a meat tenderizer.
- Mix together hoisin, rice wine vinegar, garlic and fish sauce. Add steak and marinade ingredients to a plastic bag and marinate for 1 hour.
- While the steak is marinating, combine carrot, daikon, salt and vinegar. Stir and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat canola oil on high heat. Cook steak for 4 minutes on each side, then rest on a plate for 10 minutes.
When the steak has cooled, slice very thin.
- Assemble lettuce cups by placing steak, carrots and daikon in a butter lettuce cup.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.