Grass-fed beef plus a simple homemade sauce equals a better-for-you Sloppy Joe. Serve on a sprouted bun piled high with toppings, or enjoy over zucchini noodles or a baked sweet potato.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. coconut, extra virgin olive, or avocado oil
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
- ½ of red onion, diced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef (for plant-based, substitute two cups cooked lentils)
- 3/4 Cup TrueMade Veggie Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s tomato paste
- Shredded cabbage
- Wake Robin Garlicky Dill Pickle Chips
- Tomato slices
- Avocado slices
- Place the oil in a large skillet.
- Sauté peppers and onions in the coconut oil over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften and onions start to become translucent.
- Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and stir in.
- Add beef and break it up with a spatula. Cook until browned. If using lentils in place of beef, add them at this time.
- Add ketchup, coconut aminos, and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Let cook on low for at least 10 minutes. The longer it cooks the more the flavors will develop.
- Serve on a sprouted bun with toppings of choice!