The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
You can forget about making a filling, rolling it into cabbage leaves and simmering for hours! This Cabbage Roll Soup with Wild Rice delivers all the flavor and nostalgia of the classic comfort food in a fraction of the time, and without all the work.
Look for meatloaf mix (a combination of beef, pork and veal) near the ground beef in the Meat Department at Heinen’s, or feel free to use all ground beef (or turkey) instead.
Cabbage Roll Soup with Wild Rice
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 pound meatloaf mix (beef/pork/veal)*
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts beef stock (not broth)
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small head of cabbage (about 3 pounds), cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cup matchstick carrots
- ¾ cup wild rice blend
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
*If you can’t find meatloaf mix, substitute ground beef.
- In a large heavy stockpot, brown the beef over medium-high heat, using a wooden spoon to break it up.
- After 5 minutes, stir in onion and green bell pepper, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 5 minutes, or until onion softens.
- Stir in garlic, paprika and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add stock and crushed tomatoes and bring the liquid to a boil. Salt to taste, then reduce heat to medium-low and stir in cabbage, carrots and wild rice. Cover pot and continue to simmer for 35-45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Stir in red wine vinegar and salt once more to taste.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Cabbage Roll Soup with Wild Rice.