The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
If cornbread dressing is on your holiday menu this year, consider picking up fresh cornbread from Heinen’s Bakery Department to cut down on prep time.
Heinen’s cornbread is sweet, buttery and full of rich flavor, so it’s ideal for classing cornbread dressing. It is also prepared in-house and free of preservatives, artificial flavors and high fructose corn syrup.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- It’s a simplified spin on traditional cornbread dressing, made simpler using Heinen’s freshly baked cornbread from the Bakery Department, with all the textures and flavors of the classic recipe.
- You’ll only need 10 ingredients and 10 minutes of hands-on prep time so it can easily be incorporated into your holiday cooking without much time or effort.
- It’s easy to prep and bake one to two days in advance, refrigerate and reheat before serving.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp. Heinen's dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's dried thyme
- Heinen's cornbread (approx. 1 lb)
- 1 cup Heinen's low sodium chicken culinary stock
- 2 Heinen's large pasture raised eggs
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray 9×9 inch baking dish with oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Season with sage, thyme and salt to taste and cook 30 seconds more, stirring constantly.
- While the vegetables cook, cut or crumble the cornbread into 1 inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl. You should have about 4 cups total. Add the cooked vegetables to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, eggs, salt and black pepper.
- Pour the chicken stock mixture over the cornbread and vegetables and gently mix until just combined, then transfer to the prepared baking dish and use the back of a spoon to spread to edges.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. The top should be lightly golden brown and slightly darker around the edges. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.