The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
If you are a fan of caprese salad, you have to try this fun way to use it stuffed in a Portobello mushroom. These are so easy to make and can be on your table in under 20 minutes. I like to serve these on a large platter for a colorful centerpiece entrée.
Caprese Stuffed Garlic Butter Portobello Mushrooms are the perfect way to use fresh summer tomatoes, basil, Portobello mushrooms and creamy mozzarella cheese. This vegetarian meal is beautiful, easy-to-make and very filling.
The Heinen’s butter mixed with the garlic makes the perfect garlic butter sauce for the mushrooms. The flavors are infused into the mushrooms as they roast. The caprese roasted mushrooms are then finished with the delicious sweetness of Heinen’s balsamic glaze, along with fresh basil and parsley.
Celebrate the end of summer and beginning of fall, with this fresh and healthy dish!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 Tbsp. Heinen's butter, melted
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. Heinen's dried oregano, divided
- 4-5 medium Portobello mushrooms, stems removed, washed and dried
- 10-12 fresh cherry-sized (ciliegine) mozzarella cheese balls, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped and
- Heinen's balsamic glaze, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the oven shelf to the middle of your oven.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and discard.
- Using a spoon, scrape out the dark gills from the inside of the mushroom caps.
- Combine the butter, garlic and 1 tsp. of oregano in a small saucepan and melt slowly. A microwave can also be used for this step.
- Lightly brush the garlic butter on the caps of each mushroom. Place them buttered-side-down on a baking tray. Make sure not to use too much butter as it can make the mushrooms soggy.
- Flip and brush any remaining garlic butter over the insides of each cap.
- Evenly disperse the mozzarella and tomatoes in each mushroom. Sprinkle the remaining 1tsp. of dried oregano over each filled mushroom.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and top with the fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze along with a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper.
- Enjoy warm!