The recipes and photography for this post were provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Warm chicken and sautéed veggies lay atop a bed of slow cooked mashed sweet potatoes for a belly-warming spin on traditional chicken pie.
This recipe is also great for using up any holiday leftovers!
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1-2 tsp. lemon juice
- Mashed sweet potatoes
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add vegetables and saute for 10 minutes, or until carrots are crisp-tender ( you can keep the skillet covered to help these soften more quickly.) Add poultry seasoning and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and stock, then stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and peas and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add lemon juice to taste, then season with salt and pepper. Serve over mashed sweet potatoes.
- Slow cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes: In a small slow cooker ( 3-4 quart), add 3 lbs. of uncooked, peeled whole sweet potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, then mash together with 3 tbsp. and salt to taste. I usually hit them with my immersion blender whisk to make them extra creamy.