The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
With Easter right around the corner, let’s twist and shout! These personal-size braided Easter Bread Baskets make a delicious place setting at any spring table.
Whether you’re celebrating Easter or hosting a spring brunch for loved ones, place one of these seasonal confections on each plate and watch your guests fawn over the effortless elegance and mouthwatering taste.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Easter Bread Baskets
- 5 Heinen’s cage-free brown eggs
- 2 rolls of Pillsbury pizza dough
- 6 oz. of white chocolate shavings, preferably shaved from a bar
- Sprinkles of choice
For the Glaze
- ½ cup powder sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water or milk
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay another sheet of parchment paper on the kitchen counter. Pop open the rolls of pizza dough (one at a time) and slowly roll out the dough so it is even in thickness. Sprinkle with a pinch of flour. Coat your hands in flour as well to prevent sticking.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 6 even strips out of the dough.
- Using a potato peeler or cheese grater, shave the white chocolate bar. If you can’t find a bar of white chocolate, use white chocolate chips instead.
- Sprinkle the white chocolate shavings over the strips of dough. Pinch each strip to tuck the chocolate inside, like a stuffed crust.
- Pinch the ends of 3 strips together and braid them.
- Once you get to the end of the braid, pinch the opposite ends of the strips together.
- Gently stretch out the braided dough and pinch the top and bottom ends together. Repeatedly twist the braid over itself long-ways until it resembles a twisted braid.
- Tuck the two ends into each other and pinch to ensure they are stuck together. Form each twisted braid into a circle with an open hole in the middle.
- Repeat steps 6-9 with the remaining 3 strips, then start the process over with the other tube of dough. This will result in 4 bread baskets.
- Whisk an egg into a small bowl and brush over each bread basket.
- Place the baskets in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until the tops are slightly golden brown. Do not panic if some of the white chocolate leaks out.
- During the bake time, add four eggs to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat, cover and steam the eggs for 4 minutes for soft boiled and 6 minutes for hard boiled.
- Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and let them soak.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk (or water) until a semi-thick opaque glaze forms.
- Remove the bread baskets from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour your desired amount of glaze over each bread basket.
- Add festive sprinkles and place one egg in the center of each basket.