The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Bread Over Heels, a food scientist and blogger. For more of her recipes and baking tips, visit her website or her Instagram @breadoverheels.
A fun twist on a classic lemon bar, these Grapefruit Bars come together quickly using fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice from Heinen’s.
Compared to lemons, grapefruits have a relatively high sugar content, which allowed me to reduce the added sugar in this dessert and let the sweet-tart grapefruit shine.
Best served cold out of the refrigerator, make the most of citrus season and look forward to spring with these zippy bite-size bars!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 24 Bars
For the Crust
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 9 Tbsp. butter, chilled and cut into pieces
For the Filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup Heinen’s fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- Red food coloring, optional
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare the crust. Combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and salt in a medium-size bowl.
- Cut in the butter using your hands or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden on edges.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Whisk eggs in a medium-size bowl. Add sugar, flour and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Add grapefruit juice and 2 drops of red food coloring, if desired. Stir well to combine.
- Remove crust from oven and reduce temperature to 325˚F. Pour grapefruit filling directly into hot crust. Return to oven and bake for 20-24 minutes or until curd is completely set.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. Dust with powdered sugar for garnish.