The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
Simple, sweet and low calorie? I don’t think anyone could dream of a better combination for a cocktail! My Grapefruit & Basil Greyhound checks all of these boxes. Very simple to make and so delicious to drink, you’ll want a whole pitcher on hand.
Grapefruit is a delightful citrus fruit, but its flavor can often be a bit bitter. I counteract this by making a simple syrup, which is basically a sweet syrup that forms when water and sugar are boiled together. You can make it yourself or pick up Powell & Mahoney’s premade simple syrup from Heinen’s.
This drink features vodka, which pairs deliciously with fresh basil and limes along with Heinen’s fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. It’s as simple as that! With only a few ingredients, you can have a delicious cocktail perfect for spring sipping!
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 oz. vodka
- 4 oz. Heinen’s fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 oz. Powell & Mahoney simple syrup
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup Dole crushed pineapple, optional
- Salt or sugar, for rim
- Sliced grapefruit and lime, for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add vodka, basil leaves, lime juice, simple syrup and a couple Tbsp. of crushed pineapple, if desired. Use the back of a spoon to muddle all of the ingredients together.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Add fresh ice to serving glasses and pour the vodka mixture over top.
- Top with Heinen’s fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice and the rest of the crushed pineapple, if desired.
- Garnish with a fresh grapefruit or lime wedge and enjoy!
It was as very good! I thought it was going to be too sweet but it wasn’t.
We’re glad you enjoyed this cocktail, Phyllis. Thank you for sharing your feedback.