The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Made with marinated grilled chicken, fresh Midwest grown produce and a bright tzatziki sauce, this spin on the classic gyro is sure to please everyone! Even though summer is winding to a close, we still take full advantage of our outdoor grill through September and even into October. And when outdoor grilling isn’t an option, a grill pan on the stove works just as well.
Cut down on prep time by using Two Brothers Garlic Caprese Vinaigrette as the chicken marinade. This is one of my favorite salad dressing varieties because it’s so flavorful and versatile. It’s always stashed in my fridge for quick marinades and to top our vegetable and grain-based salads.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Gerber’s CARE Certified boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
- ½ cup Two Brothers garlic caprese vinaigrette
- 1 large locally grown cucumber, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 7 oz. container FAGE 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Midwest grown dill, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Sea salt
- 4 Aladdins' wheat naan breads, warmed
- ¼ large Midwest grown red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large Midwest grown cucumber, sliced
- Marinate the chicken tenders in the vinaigrette for 30-60 minutes at room temperature, or in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- Discard the marinade and grill the chicken on an outdoor grill or grill pan over medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- To make the tzatziki sauce, coarsely grate half of the cucumber (slice the remaining half for serving). Squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Transfer it to a bowl and stir in the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, dill and garlic. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
- To serve, top a naan bread with sliced red onion, tomato and cucumber, followed by 2-3 grilled chicken tenders and tzatziki sauce.
- Fold up the sides and enjoy!