The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
When I say this recipe is easy, I really mean it! But don’t let simplicity fool you! The flavor of this sweet Grilled Pound Cake is out of the world!
That’s right! You can grill pound cake and once you do, you’ll never want it any other way.
The best thing about this dessert is that there is no baking required. All you need is a pre-made pound cake loaf (or two) from Heinen’s Bakery, lemons, blueberries, strawberries, mint and a few pantry staple ingredients I guarantee you have on hand already.
Topped with a refreshing berry compote, which cuts the richness of the pound cake beautifully, I highly suggest serving this dessert with ice cream. It is summer after all!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- Vegetable spray or oil, for the grill
- 1-2 loaves Heinen's pound cake
- Juice of 4 lemons
- Heinen's olive oil
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Mint sprigs
- Heinen's honey, to drizzle (optional)
- Heinen's ice cream (optional)
- In a saucepan, add 1/2 cup water, 1 cup of sugar and all of the berries.
- Squeeze in the juice of one lemon. Bring to boil and let simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the grill to medium-high heat and spray the grates with cooking spray.
- Slice the pound cake into 1-inch slices. Squeeze lemon juice on both sides of each slice, along with a generous glug of olive oil. Allow it soak in and when the grill is hot, add the slices.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side to achieve grill marks.
- When ready, remove the slices from the grill and serve with the berry compote, a drizzle of honey and ice cream, if desired.