The recipe and photography for this post was provided Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Impress your guests at your next get together with this absolutely delicious grilled stone fruit recipe with berries and sweet honey lemon dressing.
No matter what, I’m always looking to take traditional recipes to the next level and help bring out more flavor, and of course, to be the talk of the party. Fruit salads are always a hit at any get-together, but if it’s fire roasted, cooked over a grill and tossed in a sweet vinaigrette, then it immediately sparks interest.
When you grill fruit, whether that’s stone fruit, mango or pineapple, it further intensifies the sweetness of that fruit. The hot sear marks caramelize the fruit, thus bringing forth all of those natural sugars that make the flavor so awesome. You could absolutely grill things like watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe or other fruits and add them to this stone fruit salad.
Grilling fruit, much like anything, can cause some unease because folks are worried about overcooking. Let me say that grilling fruit is very quick, so there is no need to worry about the fruit turning to mush. The goal is to get quick sear marks that will help kick up the flavor by a few notches. To do this, make sure the grill is hot (450° to 550°) and the grates have been brushed with oil to prevent the fruit from sticking. Add the sliced fruit to the grill and cook for 20-30 seconds per side.
I like to grill in batches so that I can flip the fruit quickly without worrying about some of it being over the fire for too long. Once the fruit is grilled, simply place the pieces in the refrigerator and leave them for 20 to 30 minutes or until cool. This is great timing because you can then make a simple dressing consisting of fresh squeezed lemon juice, honey and fresh mint. This nice and light combo of flavors really helps enhance the taste of the fruit. If you’re looking for more greenery, you could also swap the lemon out for some fresh limes.
To plate the salad spread, put the fruit across a plate or platter and add some fresh mixed berries to help contrast the color and to add some tasty sweet flavors to the mix. Drizzle the dressing on the dish right before serving.
Grilled Stone Fruit with Berries and Sweet Honey Lemon Dressing
- 2 pitted and sliced fresh peaches
- 2 pitted and sliced fresh nectarines
- 2 pitted and sliced fresh apricots
- 2 pitted and sliced fresh plums
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup each fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries
- Preheat the grill to high heat, 450° to 550°. Spray the grates with non-stick spray or rub down with oil.
- Add the sliced stone fruit in batches to the grill and cook for 20-30 seconds per side or until grill marks have formed. Once all of the fruit is grilled, place in the refrigerator until chilled, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, honey and mint to a small bowl and mix until combined.
- once the stone fruit is chilled add it to a plate or platter and evenly place on fresh berries. Drizzle with lemon dressing and serve cold.