The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
This gorgeous rendition of a caprese salad contains next-level cheesy goodness in the form of halloumi!
Semi-hard, un-ripened and made from a mixture of goat and sheep’s milk, this unique cheese has a high melting point, making it perfect for frying and grilling!
You’ll likely find halloumi on the menu at fancy restaurants, but you can also find it affordably available at Heinen’s. Simply stop by your local Heinen’s Specialty Cheese Department and ask your Cheese Specialist to point you in the direction of the best variety for your needs.
Making this recipe is extremely easy! Simply slice and place the halloumi in a frying pan over high heat to create a crispy brown crust with a soft middle. Add colorful, juicy tomatoes from Heinen’s top-quality assortment of Midwest-grown produce and finish with Heinen’s balsamic glaze and microgreens for a beautiful and delicious spin on a caprese salad that will have your mouth watering.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 4 oz. halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup assorted cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s balsamic glaze
- Video Gardens microgreens, for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the olive to a medium-size, nonstick pan over high heat.
- Once it begins to lightly smoke, add the halloumi cheese and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until well browned on both sides. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- To assemble, spread the assorted tomatoes all around a serving plate. Add the seared halloumi cheese followed by salt, pepper, balsamic glaze, microgreens and fresh basil for garnish. Serve.