The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
This gorgeous rendition of a caprese salad contains next-level cheesy goodness in the form of halloumi! Semi-hard, unripened and made from a mixture of goat and sheep’s milk, this unique cheese has a high melting point, making it perfect for frying and grilling! It’s not hard to find either, simply stop by your local Heinen’s Cheese Department and give it a try!
Making this recipe is easy too! Simply slice and place the halloumi in a frying pan over high heat to create a crispy brown crust with a soft middle. Add colorful juicy tomatoes and top with Heinen’s balsamic glaze and microgreens for a beautiful and delicious Halloumi Caprese Salad.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup assorted cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s balsamic glaze
- Microgreens and fresh basil, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the olive to a medium-size, non-stick pan over high heat.
- Once it begins to lightly smoke, add the halloumi cheese and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until well browned on both sides. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- To assemble, spread the assorted tomatoes all around the plate, then add the seared halloumi cheese followed by salt, pepper, balsamic glaze, microgreens and fresh basil for garnish. Serve.