The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
If you are anything like me, you’ll have a stockpile of leftovers after your Easter meal, namely ham! Ham sandwiches are great, but have you have had ham in your cornbread!? It is a life-changing experience, my friends. Toss in a handful of broccoli and a cup of cheddar cheese and you’ve got a quick weeknight meal that is sure to become a new family favorite.
This recipe opened my eyes to how incredible cornbread can be as a vessel for other foods. Adding your favorite meats, vegetables and cheeses turns this classic comfort food into a hearty casserole. The moisture from the ham and broccoli makes the cornbread a bit lighter than normal, and the flavors and textures remind me of a very dense quiche. I could see this being served at a brunch, or to a crowd of picky eaters who need a hidden serving of veggies!
Since this cornbread is nearly a meal in itself, I like to serve it with something light. That’s where Heinen’s pre-packaged soups come into play! They have a whole selection of soups to choose from and each one is packed full of fresh vegetables and quality meats. Their fire roasted vegetable soup is my favorite of the bunch. It is loaded to the brim with fire roasted vegetables that are swimming in a roasted tomato broth. It is unreal! If veggies aren’t your thing, try their lobster bisque, chicken tortilla soup or any other selection from their set! There is no way you can go wrong!
Time to dump all our eggs in one basket!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 Heinen's cage free egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1 cup Heinen’s cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Add 1 1/2 Tbsp. of butter into a skillet or baking dish and place in the oven for 2 minutes, or until the butter melts.
- Melt the remaining butter and add it to a large bowl with the milk, egg, sour cream and spices. Mix until combined.
- Add the cornbread mix and stir until combined.
- Fold in the broccoli, cheese and ham. If desired, fry the ham before adding it to the batter to remove some of the moisture and enhance the texture.
- Pour the batter into the skillet or dish with the melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then check for doneness. It is ready to remove from the oven once it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cornbread to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a pat of butter and your favorite soup!