The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
Hatch Chile season is here and dipping into this Hatch Chile & Chorizo Queso is a delicious way to celebrate.
Loaded with freshly roasted Hatch Chiles, savory chorizo and plenty of cheese, this easy appetizer is great for late summer entertaining or fall tailgating.
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 lb. chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 cup Hatch Chiles, roasted and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Cilantro, for topping
- Heinen’s white corn tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat the canola oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chorizo, breaking it up as much as possible. Sauté until the chorizo is browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter, white onion, jalapeño and Hatch Chiles. Cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir well. Slowly add the heavy whipping cream while stirring, then mix well.
- Slowly add the Monterrey Jack and cheddar cheeses to the pan over low heat. Once the cheese is melted, add the cumin, garlic powder and half of the chorizo. Stir well. Once fully combined, transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top the queso with the remaining chorizo and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.