The following recipe and photography for this post were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Fluffy, flaky, Fondue Cheese & Chive Scones are the perfect savory homemade treat to take your Heinen’s Tomato Basil Bisque to an entirely new level. Once you’ve tackled this scone recipe, you hold the power to switch up the flavor profile. Just think, swap the fondue cheese for pepper jack and swap chives for pickled jalapeños and you have a scone that’s a perfect match for chili.
The new Heinen’s Fondue Cheese blend is so incredibly decadent. It melts perfectly into the scones nooks and crannies and creates a cheesy depth that lasts through every bite! I used cookie cutters to shape my scones into hearts because I think these would be the perfect bite to show your kiddos or spouse some love this Valentine’s Day!
Take a walk on the wild side and ditch the grilled cheese! Make these adorable heart-shaped Fondue Cheese and Chive Scones for any soup you are enjoying!
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 4 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 heaping cup Heinen’s Fondue Cheese blend
- 4 Tbsp. chives, minced
- 1 egg white (for egg wash)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
- In the large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic and pepper.
- Add the cold cubed butter to the large bowl with flour, using a fork or your fingers, gently pinch the butter into the flour just until the butter has broken up a bit (only about 20% of the flour will adhere.)
- Add the fondue cheese and chives, stir together.
- Pour in the buttermilk and egg mixture.
- Using your hands, knead the dough until everything is just combined.
- Pour dough onto a flour-dusted surface.
- Press dough into an 8×8 square that is about 3/4-inch thick
- Cut scones into desired shape with cookie cutter
- Place scones onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush with egg whites. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Just until scones have risen and bottoms are slightly golden. Serve warm.