- Total time:
This is one of my favorite do-ahead appetizers that you can freeze and simply place on your cookie sheet and pop into the oven as guests arrive. I’ve been making it for almost 20 years. The recipe was given to me by a good friend. I’m glad this recipe and our friendship has lasted the test of time.
Hot Mushroom Pastry
- One box of puff pastry sheets
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 1/4 C. sour cream
- 1 Tbs. sherry or port (I prefer port)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut your defrosted puff pastry sheets into squares big enough to line the cup of a mini muffin pan. Fit each square of puff pastry into a buttered muffin pan. Set aside.
- Add butter and onion to a sauté pan and cook until soft.
- Add mushrooms and thyme. Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir in sour cream. Add the sherry then cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Allow mushroom mixture to cool slightly. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Scoop equal amounts into each pastry cup.
- Bake at 400°F for about 12 minutes
- Serve immediately or let cool and freeze until needed.
- Reheat from frozen on a baking sheet for apron 10 minutes at 300°F.