Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Breakfast food and comfort food team up in this hearty recipe!
When you’re looking for a belly-warming start to the day, whip up my fluffy homemade biscuits topped with creamy, meaty and oh-so-flavorful gravy.
For the Biscuits
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ¾ cup cold whole milk
For the Gravy
- 1 lb. loose breakfast sausage
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Add the butter and cut it in using a pastry knife until the butter is the size of rice.
- Mix in the milk until just combined and then transfer the dough onto a cutting board.
- Knead for 1-2 minutes or until combined together.
- Flatten the dough with your hands until it is about 1” thick.
- Using a circle cookie cutter, cut out as many biscuits as possible and place on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Reform the dough and cut out more biscuits and repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
- Bake in the oven at 425°F for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the sausage to a medium-size pan over medium-high heat. Break up the sausage into small bite-size pieces and keep on the heat until fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Set the sausage to the side and return the pan to the cooktop over medium-high heat. Mix in the butter and flour until completely combined.
- Pour in the milk, stir and bring to a boil until it becomes thick.
- Once the gravy is thick, add the sausage back in and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together and serve with the biscuits.