Instant Pot New England Clam Chowder
8 ounces of chopped bacon
1 peeled and small diced yellow onion
6 small diced stalks of celery
4 finely minced cloves of garlic
6-8 medium diced Yukon potatoes
4 cups clam juice
3 tbsp corn starch mixed with 1 ½ tbsp water
1 cup each canned minced and whole clams
1 quart heavy cream or half & half
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
oyster crackers and chopped chives for garnish
1. Set the instant pot to sauté.
2. Next, add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Remove the crispy bacon and set aside.
4. Add the onions, celery and garlic to the pot and sauté them in the rendered bacon fat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
5. Add in the potatoes, crisp-cooked bacon and clam juice and close the instant pot.
6. Set the release knob to sealing and cancel the sauté setting
7. Turn it to pressure cook and adjust the timing to 5 minutes.
8. Set the release knob to vent and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Take the cover off and return the cooking setting to sauté.
10. Mix in the corn starch and water mixture until combined and thickened.
11. Add in the clams, heavy cream, thyme, salt and pepper and mix until combined.
12. Serve with oyster crackers and chopped chives.