The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Kick off the cold weather season the right way by pairing your favorite soups, stews and chilis with this homemade corn bread.
Made in a cast iron skillet with traditional ingredients, I kicked things up a notch (literally) by adding jalapeños for a boost of heat!
Equally easy and delicious, this is a side that will earn a permanent spot in your baking repertoire.
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 can Heinen's Creamed Corn
- 1/2 can Heinen's Sweet Corn, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup jalapeño juice, from jar
- Sliced jalapeños, for topping
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and vegetable oil.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder and stir until incorporated.
- Stir in both cans of corn, the cheddar cheese and the jalapeño juice.
- Pour batter into a generously-greased cast iron skillet and top with sliced jalapeños.
- Bake at 350˚F for 45-60 minutes.