- Prep time:
- Total time:
The following tips, video and photography were provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Making homemade crepes, especially crepes filled with a spring-inspired coconut cream, can seem challenging, but I have a few tips that makes the process incredibly simple.
How to Make Coconut Cream
- Add the cream topping from a can of creamed coconut to the bowl of a stand mixer (a hand mixer can also be used). It is crucial that the can of unopened coconut cream be placed in the refrigerator overnight prior to using in this recipe. The cool temperature helps the coconut firm up and whip in the mixer. The liquid in the bottom of the can can be saved for use in other recipes, like smoothies.
- Add 1/3 cup of powdered sugar. You can add more if you prefer it sweeter. Whip on high speed for 1-2 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy, just like whipped cream. When it’s done, remove the bowl from the mixer and place it in the refrigerator to chill.
That was easy! Now it’s on to the crepes.
How to Make Crepes
In all of my years of cooking and baking, I’ve learned that the easiest way to make crepes is with premade pancake mix from Heinen’s. Here’s how it’s done!
- Simply follow the directions on the pancake mix package, but combine all of the ingredients in a blender to ensure that the mixture is completely smooth.
- Once the mixture is blended smooth, spray a crepe pan or nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over a medium-low flame.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the batter onto the center of the pan. Allow it to cook for 10 seconds, then spread the batter to the outside of the pan using a rateau (crepe spreader). The crepe will cook within 20-30 seconds. If you do not have a rateau, simply move the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter.
- Flip the crepe and cook for an additional 10 seconds. Once the crepe is cooked, but before removing it from the pan, fold it in half twice to create the classic wedge shape.
- Place the warm crepes on a platter with several scoops of the delicious, chilled coconut cream, a dusting of powdered sugar and a handful of fresh berries for garnish!
That’s all there is to it! In just a few minutes you can have deliciously sweet crepes on the table for your family and friends to enjoy. Bon Appétit
I love this recipe however he fails t mention how much powdered sugar to add to the coconut cream:(
Hi There- Thank you for pointing this out. We recommend starting with 1/3 cup of powdered sugar and adding more if you prefer it sweeter.