The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Lamb Croquettes are the perfect Mediterranean-inspired appetizer to serve before an Easter meal!
These hearty lamb bites are stuffed with potatoes and spices and are rolled in bread crumbs for a crispy exterior that beautifully compliments the savory lamb. Traditionally paired with a mint sauce, this recipe calls for mint leaves in the meat mixture and instead serves the finished croquettes with tzatziki for dipping.
If you didn’t get your fill of Easter food on Easter Sunday, use any leftover potatoes you have on-hand from your holiday meal to make these tasty croquettes the next day!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 12-14 Croquettes
- 1 lb. Heinen’s ground lamb
- 1/4 cup leftover roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes
- 1/4 Heinen's grated 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's coriander
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's allspice
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's cloves
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's oregano
- 2 Heinen's cage free eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Heinen's panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Heinen's olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place a slip mat on a nonstick pan or spray a pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb, roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes, Parmigiano Reggiano, garlic, parsley, mint, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and oregano. Mix until everything is combined.
- Divide the lamb mixture into 12-14 sections and roll each piece into even-sized shapes.
- Crack the eggs in one shallow bowl and add the bread crumbs to another shallow bowl.
- Roll the croquettes in the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture. Set on the prepared baking sheet.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp. of olive oil. Add half of the croquettes into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove and put back on the baking sheet.
- Add the other 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to the skillet and add the remaining croquettes. Cook for 5 minutes per side. Remove and add to the baking sheet.
- Cook the lamb croquettes in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve with tzatziki sauce or mint sauce. Garnish with fresh mint and parsley.