The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Whether served up as part of a family friendly dinner or shared among friends as a game day appetizer, these baked chicken tenders will be a hit among kids and adults alike! They’re loaded with the flavors of lemon, garlic and parmigiano reggiano cheese, and have a really satisfying crunch.
These tenders only require about 10 minutes of hands-on prep and up to 20 minutes in the oven. Be sure to allow for at least 20 minutes of marinating time so the chicken can absorb the flavors of lemon and garlic. I allow the chicken to marinate while the oven preheats and I prepare the breadcrumb mixture.
I find baking homemade chicken tenders on a baking rack set on a sheet pan really helps to create a crispy coating on all sides. No soggy breading here! Be sure to spray them with Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil spray before baking to help create that crunchy golden crust.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Heinen’s large cage free egg
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed/minced
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb. Gerber’s CARE certified chicken breast tenders
- ¾ cup Heinen’s plain breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s paprika
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
- Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray a baking rack liberally with nonstick cooking spray and set it on top of a sheet pan.
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, 2 Tbsps. lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and ½ tsp. kosher salt.
- Add the chicken tenders to the egg mixture and toss well to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
- In a separate wide shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmigiano reggiano, 1 tsp. lemon zest, paprika, garlic powder, ½ tsp. kosher salt, and black pepper.
- After the chicken has marinated in the egg mixture for at least 15 minutes, dredge each tender in the breadcrumb mixture, using your hands to press the breading onto all sides.
- Arrange the breaded tenders on the prepared baking rack. Spray with extra virgin olive oil spray.
- Transfer pan to preheated oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip tenders, rotate pan and return to oven for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through to 165° F.