One of my favorite classic cocktails made with my favorite bourbon.
Maker’s Mark’s Bill Samuels, Jr., says, “I spent 40 years screwing around before figuring out the perfect recipe.” I’ve made only one tweak. I prefer Luxardo cherries to the waxy maraschino variety. If you’ve never tried a Luxardo cherry you should seek them out. They are dark and sweet with a thick syrup that has a velvety consistency. I adore these little gems.
- Total time:
- 2 1/2 ounces Maker’s Mark bourbon
- 1/2 ounce French sweet vermouth, preferably Dolin Rouge
- 2 dashes Fee Brothers cherry bitters
- 4 to 5 drops Luxardo cherry juice
- Ice 3 Luxardo cherries, for garnish
- In a mixing glass, combine the bourbon, sweet vermouth, bitters and maraschino cherry juice.
- Fill the mixing glass with ice and stir well.
- Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with the Luxardo cherries.