The following recipe and photography was provided by our partners, The Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.
This impressive Dutch baby puffs as it bakes, and then falls to a tender pancake. Complete with fresh apples, bacon and our limited time, handcrafted Henning’s Cheddar Cheese it’s the ultimate breakfast treat!
- Total time:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. butter, cubed and divided
- 6 oz. Henning's Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided (1 1/2 cups)
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Place a 10-inch cast-iron or ovenproof skillet in the oven on the middle rack. Heat oven to 425°F.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl until blended. Beat in the milk, flour, sugar and maple syrup until frothy.
- Remove hot skillet from oven.
- Add 1 Tbsp. butter and tilt pan to coat bottom and sides with melted butter.
- Pour batter into the hot skillet. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheddar and 1/2 cup bacon.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until puffed and edges are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the apple, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until apple is tender.
- Spoon apple mixture into pancake.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and bacon. Serve warm.