The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Alissa DiSanto of Sauced By Sunday.
Make fresh melon the star of your next summer salad with this colorful and flavorful creation!
Featuring juicy, sweet cantaloupe tossed with fresh mozzarella, salty prosciutto and mint and coated in an acidic champagne vinegar dressing, this dish tastes complex, but can be easily be prepped ahead and assembled in a matter of minutes to serve for a weeknight meal or summer celebration!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 ripe cantaloupe melon, halved and seeded
- 2 6 oz. containers small, fresh mozzarella balls (Ciliegini)
- 3 oz. or 6 slices good prosciutto, torn into ribbons
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, torn
- 3 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp. honey
- Scoop the cantaloupe into small balls using a melon baller. Place in a bowl or serving dish. If using a large melon baller, cut the melon balls into halves or thirds.
- Add the mozzarella to the bowl with the balled melon.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the champagne vinegar, olive oil and honey in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the melon and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper. Once prepped, let the salad rest and marinate. This step can be skipped if time does not allow.
- Top with the torn prosciutto and mint leaves.
- All steps can be completed in advance if each ingredient is kept separate. Once ready to use, simply toss all of the ingredients together.
- Pearl mozzarella balls can be used in place of the Ciliegini. These are found in Heinen’s Specialty Cheese Department next to the Italian cheeses and fresh mozzarella.