The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Kayla Breeden of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
Elevate your next tailgate with a better-for-you spin on traditional BBQ wings.
When I think of food for football season, BBQ wings typically rise to the top of my list. Deep fried and coated in sugar-laden sauce, I knew there had to be a healthier alternative, so I turned to one of the best veggie-based substitutes for meat: cauliflower!
Coated in tapioca starch and tossed in Primal Kitchen’s clean ingredient BBQ sauce, you’ll be amazed at how closely the crunch and flavor of these baked cauliflower bites resemble classic chicken wings!
You can’t have BBQ anything without ranch, so I whipped up a homemade ranch dressing too with the help of Primal Kitchen’s avocado oil-based mayo, coconut milk and loads of seasonings and spices. It’s just as good as the original and so much better for you!
The best thing about these BBQ Cauliflower Bites is that they’re Paleo and Whole30 compliant, so virtually anyone can indulge!
Bring these to your next tailgate and you’ll quickly be voted the MVP of the party!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the BBQ Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 Tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- ¼ cup tapioca starch or flour
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen BBQ sauce
For the Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayo
- ¼ cup lite canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chives
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro
- ¼ tsp. dill
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets, then coat with avocado or olive oil in a bowl.
- Toss the cauliflower florets with the tapioca starch or flour until evenly coated.
- Lay the cauliflower on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Ensure that the florets do not touch each other so they cook evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and coat each piece in the BBQ sauce.
- Bake the cauliflower for 10 more minutes, then broil on high (500°F) for 2-5 minutes with the oven door cracked. Be sure to watch the cauliflower during this time as it can burn easily!
- Serve warm with ranch, if desired.
- To reheat, use an air fryer to added crispness.