The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Bread Over Heels, a food scientist and blogger. For more of her recipes and baking tips, visit her website or her Instagram @breadoverheels.
Looking for your next indulgent baked good? My Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies, made with Heinen’s Organic and Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Pillows Cereal, offer a multi-textured treat with the classic and delicious combination of peanut butter and chocolate.
The star of these brownies are the new Chocolate Hazelnut Pillows cereal from Heinen’s – my latest obsession! The organic and gluten-free cereal is a dream for breakfast with the smooth chocolate hazelnut filling and crispy crunchy shell that softens perfectly with some milk.
This new and innovative cereal is also the key for the crunch in these brownies- layers of homemade fudge brownies, creamy peanut butter and chocolate mixed with chopped Heinen’s Chocolate Hazelnut Pillows Cereal combine for an immensely creamy, crunchy and chocolatey bite. Happy baking!
For the Brownie Layer
- 3 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 2/3 cup flour
For the Peanut Butter Layer
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
For the Crunch Layer
- 1 ¼ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup Heinen’s Chocolate Hazelnut Pillow cereal, chopped, plus additional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides. Lightly spray or butter parchment paper.
- Prepare brownie layer. In a large microwaveable bowl, microwave dark chocolate and butter together in 30 second intervals until melted.
- Add sugar and mix to combine. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Mix to combine. Add flour and salt and stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 25-28 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While brownies are cooling, prepare peanut butter layer. In a small microwaveable bowl, melt butter. Stir in peanut butter. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Stir well until completely smooth.
- Spread over cooled brownies. Return to refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips until melted. Stir in butter. Stir in Heinen’s cereal.
- Spread over brownies and top with Heinen’s Chocolate Hazelnut Pillows. Let cool in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.