Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Spring is in the air and its bound to be BBQ time in your backyard with this delicious potato salad recipe that is so easy to make.
There are so many variations of potato salad from grilled, to mashed, to chunky, to everything in between. I’m a fan of a mustardy, slightly mashed, slightly chunky potato salad that is jam-packed with celery, onions and hard boiled eggs. It’s definitely a southern-style potato salad, and it’s always a family favorite.
If you’ve seen my deviled eggs technique video, then you already know how to perfectly hard boil eggs, which will make preparing this potato salad even easier. The other thing to consider is if you want to leave the peelings on the potatoes. I peel them because I like the consistency and think it looks a little nicer.
When making this, remember that you will need to allow for time to chill the boiled potatoes, and the potato salad in general, before serving. As I always do, I want to encourage you to add or take away ingredients that you like or dislike to make it your own.
Here are a few more ingredients that you can to this recipe:
- Sweet Pickle Relish
- Dill Pickle Relish
- Yukon Potatoes
- Red Potatoes
- 3 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, small diced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and small diced
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and immediately cool until cold.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl along with the chopped hard boiled eggs, celery, onions, mayo, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Chill before serving and add chopped chives for garnish, if desired.