The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
Whether you’re packing a lunchbox for school or work, spending a day by the pool or whipping up a snack for hungry kids on summer break, applesauce is a sweet solution.
Many of us likely grew up eating store-bought applesauce from big glass jars or single-serve plastic cups. These options are certainly tasty and convenient, but most people don’t realize that a lot of premade applesauces contain a high volume of added sugar.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- It features Bostock Organic Pink Lady Apples. The arrival of these apples is our signal that apple season is starting. Grown in New Zealand, these 100% organic apples are recognized by their reddish-pink color and sweet-tart flavor.
- It’s ready in 30 minutes. Simply toss all of the ingredients in a pot on the stove, let them simmer and blend to your desired consistency.
- It’s naturally sweetened. Rather than using processed sugar, this recipe relies on the natural sweetness of the apples and Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup to mimic the sweet goodness of traditional applesauce.
If applesauce is a staple in your home, consider eliminating the excess sugar by making your own! It’s very simple to do and the finished sauce tastes just as sweet as the store-bought brands you love, except you control the sugar content.
Early apple season has started in Heinen’s Produce Department with the arrival of Bostock Organic Pink Lady Apples, so grab a few on your next grocery haul and whip up this beautiful pink-hued, naturally sweetened apple treat!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 1/2 Cups
- 4-5 Bostock Organic Pink Lady Apples, cored and chopped
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s ground cinnamon
- 1 Heinen’s cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- A pinch of sea salt
- In a pot, combine all of the ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat until soft, about 15- 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, if using. Use a hand blender to puree to your desired chunky or smooth consistency.
- Taste and add more maple syrup or water until your desired sweetness and consistency is achieved.
- Divide into individual jars and enjoy.