The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Looking for something different to do with those eggs? As a self-proclaimed breakfast aficionado, I cannot wait to use Heinen’s cage-free eggs in all of my favorite egg-based breakfasts.
I usually make quiches, omelets, scrambled eggs and frittatas, but I’ve never tackled a tart. I have a go-to pistachio crust for most of my baking needs, so I wanted to use it to create this healthy tart complete with cage-free eggs, asparagus and broccoli.
Place this on the table for breakfast or brunch and you’ll impress ever taste bud!
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Pistachio Crust
- ½ cup raw honey roasted pistachios
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
For the Filling
- 10-15 organic asparagus stalks, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bundle organic broccolini stalks, chopped
- 1 small organic onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 4 large Heinen's Cage-Free Eggs
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Seasonings of choice, to taste
- Set the oven to 375°F.
- Pulse the honey roasted pistachios in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Add flour, salt and sugar and pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse just until a coarse meal forms.
- With the motor running, gradually stream in ½ cup of ice water and process until dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a work surface. Form the dough into a ball then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, cut in half and store remaining half for later use. If you want to bake both, double the filling ingredients!
- Roll out the dough into 1/4-inch thick circle that is about 9” in diameter. You are filling an 8-inch circular tart pan, so trim the slight overhang. Press the dough firmly into the side walls of the tart pan to prevent air bubbles.
- Use baking weights or beans to cook the crust for 7 minutes, just until slightly firm.
- While the tart crust is cooking. Sauté the asparagus and broccolini with onions and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the tart crust from the oven and remove the beans or baking weights.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Brush the trim of the crust with egg.
- Whisk the milk into the egg bowl with 1/2 tsp. of salt and additional seasonings. Stir in the cooked vegetables. Slowly pour bowl into the crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
Can you adjust recipe for the crust to “gluten free”?
Hi There – Thank you for your question. Pistachios are gluten free by nature, so by subbing gluten free baking flour for traditional flour, this crust will be gluten free.