The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Looking for something different to do with those eggs? As a self-proclaimed breakfast aficionado, I cannot wait to use Heinen’s cage-free eggs in all of my favorite egg-based breakfasts.
I usually make quiches, omelets, scrambled eggs and frittatas, but I’ve never tackled a tart. I have a go-to pistachio crust for most of my baking needs, so I wanted to use it to create this healthy tart complete with cage-free eggs, asparagus and broccoli.
Place this on the table for breakfast or brunch and you’ll impress ever taste bud!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Pistachio Crust
- ½ cup raw honey roasted pistachios
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
For the Filling
- 10-15 organic asparagus stalks, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bundle organic broccolini stalks, chopped
- 1 small organic onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 4 large Heinen's Cage-Free Eggs
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Seasonings of choice, to taste
- Set the oven to 375°F.
- Pulse the honey roasted pistachios in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Add flour, salt and sugar and pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse just until a coarse meal forms.
- With the motor running, gradually stream in ½ cup of ice water and process until dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a work surface. Form the dough into a ball then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, cut in half and store remaining half for later use. If you want to bake both, double the filling ingredients!
- Roll out the dough into 1/4-inch thick circle that is about 9” in diameter. You are filling an 8-inch circular tart pan, so trim the slight overhang. Press the dough firmly into the side walls of the tart pan to prevent air bubbles.
- Use baking weights or beans to cook the crust for 7 minutes, just until slightly firm.
- While the tart crust is cooking. Sauté the asparagus and broccolini with onions and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the tart crust from the oven and remove the beans or baking weights.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Brush the trim of the crust with egg.
- Whisk the milk into the egg bowl with 1/2 tsp. of salt and additional seasonings. Stir in the cooked vegetables. Slowly pour bowl into the crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes to cool slightly.