The following recipe and photography were provided by Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Kayla Breeden of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
Imagine the flavor of your favorite restaurant-style guacamole. Now, imagine enjoying all of that creamy, zesty goodness in a guacamole that’s actually good for you!
Completely plant-powered, this quick and simple homemade guacamole is packed full of healthy fat from ripe avocados, protein from crispy roasted chickpeas, freshness and crunch from celery, onion and tomato and all the tang you could ever want from a splash of fresh lime and a hit of cilantro!
Now, you can’t enjoy fresh guac without a crunchy companion. Skip the nutrition deficient tortilla chips and add even more plant power by serving this guacamole in a potassium-rich bell pepper!
Fresh, flavorful and so easy to make, this recipe is full of the key nutrients your immune system needs to thrive, making it an ideal lunch or snack option!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 3 large or 6 small ripe avocados
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup tomato, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. Heinen's onion powder
- 1 tsp. Heinen's garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Heinen's paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- Cilantro, to garnish
- 1 14 oz. can Heinen's chickpeas
- 2 tsp. Heinen's avocado oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain, rinse and dry the chickpeas, then spread them out on the baking sheet.
- Top the chickpeas with avocado oil and salt. Use your hands to toss and ensure they are evenly coated.
- Bake the chickpeas for 20-30 minutes, or until golden.
- While the chickpeas bake, combine the avocados, lime juice, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and salt in a large bowl. Mash until the guacamole reaches your desired consistency.
- Add the chopped celery, diced red onion, cubed tomato and crunchy baked chickpeas to the avocado mixture and fold together until combined.
- Slice off the top of each bell pepper, then cut them in half. Remove the insides and seeds.
- Fill each bell pepper half with the plant-powered guacamole.
- Top with cilantro and an extra sprinkle of salt.