The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
Grain-based and gorgeous, this vibrant salad is as refreshing as it is stunning!
When citrus season reaches it’s peak, I love to find ways to liven up classic mealtime staples. Quinoa is a healthy whole grain that our bodies love, but our taste buds and eyes can find a bit boring, if served on its own. When paired with a zesty citrus dressing and fresh sliced citrus, this salad goes from basic to beautiful!
This recipe features Cara Cara oranges, blood oranges and grapefruit, but with so much citrus available at Heinen’s, feel free to get as creative as you want.
To finish the dish, I recommend topping with fresh basil and thyme for a punch of herby freshness in each bite.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- 1 cup Heinen’s organic tri-color quinoa
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 2 Cara Cara oranges, segmented
- 2 blood oranges, segmented
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Fresh thyme, for serving
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s organic Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. Once cooked, place in a large bowl.
- Top the quinoa with the grapefruit and orange segments.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk well and pour over the quinoa and citrus. Gently mix.
- Top the salad with fresh basil and thyme. Serve.