The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
We’re well into fall, and there is no better way to celebrate than with Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffed Mini Pumpkins. This recipe is as delicious as it is adorable!
Mini pumpkins are roasted to perfection and stuffed with savory sausage and wild rice. Top your stuffed pumpkins with pepitas and fresh sage for a truly beautiful autumn dish.
This recipe would be an adorable personal-size side dish at a Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving celebration! Your family and friends will love it!
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup Heinen’s long grain brown and wild rice blend
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 6-8 mini pumpkins
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pepitas, for topping
- Fresh sage, for topping
- Combine butter, wild rice and stock in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and cover for 45-50 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Set cooked rice aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the tops and stems off of the mini pumpkins. Scoop out the seeds and strings so the pumpkins can be easily stuffed.
- Fill a foil-lined baking pan with 1/3 cup of water. Place pumpkins top-side-down in the pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until the pumpkins can be easily pierced with a fork throughout.
- While the pumpkins are cooking, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and let cook for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add sausage, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook until sausage is completely cooked through, about 5-8 minutes.
- After sausage is cooked, add wild rice to the pan and mix well.
- Stuff the pumpkins with the sausage and wild rice filling. Be careful – the pumpkins will be hot.
- Top stuffed pumpkins with pepitas and fresh sage. Serve.
Note: If you’d like, reserve the pumpkin tops from step 3 and serve the pumpkins with the tops slightly off center.