The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Served as a beautiful brunch dish, a simple dinner main or a patio happy hour appetizer, this Savory Tomato Galette is bound to impress.
What’s more impressive is that this recipe only requires six ingredients and comes together in under an hour (with only 20 minutes of hands-on time). It also celebrates the simplicity of fresh, Midwest grown summer tomatoes. Is there really anything better than a ripe, flavorful tomato? I love using a variety of heirloom tomatoes and a handful of cherry or grape tomatoes for this dish.
Always a fan of the store-bought shortcut, I used a refrigerated pie crust, but you can certainly swap in your favorite homemade pie dough. You’ll need enough to form an 11-12 inch circle, about ⅛-inch thick. To ensure a flaky crust that doesn’t get soggy, be sure to drain the sliced tomatoes on paper towels or a clean dish towel as instructed below.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 7 oz. refrigerated pie crust
- 4 oz. garlic and herb goat cheese
- 1 - 1 ½ lb. fresh tomatoes (combination of heirloom and cherry tomatoes)
- 1 egg
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Remove the pie crust and goat cheese from the refrigerator 15 minutes prior to prep time.
- Slice the tomatoes into ¼-inch slices. Arrange in a single layer on a paper towel-lined sheet tray or a clean dish cloth. Allow to drain for at least 15 minutes.
- Line another sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper. Unroll the pie crust and place it on top of the parchment. Crumble the goat cheese on top of the pie crust. Use your hands to gently spread it into an even layer on the crust, leaving a 1 ½-inch border. Top the goat cheese with the tomato slices. Fold up crust on all sides, pleating as necessary to form a circle.
- In a small dish, whisk the egg and brush it over the crust. Sprinkle the tomatoes and crust with black pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow the galette to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting. Top with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.