The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
These Sea Dogs will have your whole family excited for dinner! A twist on a hot dog, this seafood version is made with cod from Heinen’s fresh seafood case. The result is a crunchy, savory fried cod fillet on a toasted bun. Top with your favorite condiments and fresh lemon juice and you’ve got a delicious dinner straight from the sea!
This fun and unique recipe is a great way to introduce kids to fish. I recommend topping with tartar sauce, tomato and Italian parsley, but feel free to get creative with any toppings you like.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. fresh cod, cut into 4 fillets
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, whisked with 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 Tbsp. tartar sauce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 Tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Pat the cod fillets dry.
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder and onion powder in a bowl. Place the flour in a separate bowl. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs with 2 Tbsp. of water.
- Dredge each cod fillet in flour, then egg wash, then the panko breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a shallow pan to 350˚F. Cook the fish for 3 minutes per side. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Heat a large skillet over low heat. Add the olive oil and buns to the pan. Toast the buns lightly for 1 minute per side.
- Spread tartar sauce in each bun, then add the fried cod.
- Top with tomato slices, Italian parsley and a lemon.
- Garnish and serve.