Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Served on a busy weeknight or on a game day at home, this Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich is a meaty meal that everyone will crave, especially when paired with shoe string French fries.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2-3 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 3 Tbsp. of oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups of beef stock
- 3 Tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups of button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 hoagie rolls, sliced and toasted
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season the chuck roast well on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of oil to a slow cooker on the sauté function on high heat and add the beef. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until very browned on the first side. Once browned, flip over.
- Place the onions, garlic, stock and Worcestershire sauce into the slow cooker with the meat. Add the lid and change the cooking function to slow cook. Cook on high for 4-5 hours ,or until the meat shreds with ease.
- Drain the beef and onions and reserve the cooking liquid for dipping.
- Shred the beef using two forks. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add in the remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil and cook the mushrooms for 6-8 minutes or until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- To plate, place some of the shredded beef into the sliced and toasted hoagie rolls. Add the mushrooms and top off with cheese. Serve alongside leftover au jus cooking liquid.