The following recipe and photography was provided by Christina Musgrave of Tasting with Tina.
These Smoked Salmon and Mashed Potato Fritters make a beautiful, easy and delicious appetizer or meal when entertaining.
You’ll always catch these on my brunch menu after a holiday gathering or dinner party because they are a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
Fried to golden perfection and topped with Heinen’s premium smoked salmon, sour cream and chives, each bite features a delicate combination of flavors and textures!
Smoked Salmon and Mashed Potato Fritters
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup whole milk or cream
- ½ stick Heinen’s unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. salt
For the Potato Fritters
- 1 cup Heinen’s olive oil
- 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, plus more for serving
- 1 package Heinen’s premium smoked salmon
- Crème fraiche or sour cream, for serving
- Place 2 lbs. of potatoes and 1 Tbsp. of salt in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Add the potatoes back to the pot. Gently mash. Add 1 cup of milk or cream, ½ stick of butter and the remaining Tbsp. of salt. Mix until combined and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a shallow skillet over medium heat.
- Combine the mashed potatoes, parmesan cheese, egg, flour, salt, black pepper and chopped chives in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into round patties.
- Fry the potato fritters in the oil, working in batches. Fry for 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Once slightly cooled, top the potato fritters with Heinen’s premium smoked salmon, crème fraiche and chives. Serve.