The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
A savory Greek spinach pie so delicious you’ll want more!
Spanakopita is an easy Mediterranean dish that calls for phyllo dough and frozen spinach mixed with fresh herbs and feta cheese. You can find the phyllo dough in the Frozen Department next to the pie crust.
Enjoy this savory meal with some of the new Greek wines found in your local Heinen’s store!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 lbs. frozen spinach, completely drained
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely minced
- ¼ cup fresh dill, finely minced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and small diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 large Heinen's cage free eggs
- 12 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lb. phyllo dough, thawed
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the spinach, parsley, dill, onion, garlic, eggs, cheese, salt and pepper until completely combined. Set aside.
- In a 13×9 casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray, add 3-4 sheets of the phyllo dough to the bottom and brush on some olive oil. Repeat this process until 2/3 of the phyllo dough has been used.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to the top of the dough in the pan and spread out evenly.
- Add 3-4 sheets of the phyllo dough to the bottom and brush on some olive oil. Repeat this process until the remaining phyllo dough sheets have been used.
- Use a serrated knife and cut just through the dough to make pre-cut squares.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-60 minutes, or until the phyllo dough is browned and crisp.
- Slice and serve.