The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
A hearty vegetable side dish that can be made a day in advance and warmed through in the oven prior to serving is exactly what we need during the hustle and bustle of Thanksgiving Day!
This spinach gratin is just that! Imagine mac and cheese with spinach instead of noodles. It is so creamy and cheesy, and uses frozen spinach! How easy is that?
Add this dish to your Thanksgiving table and you will be sure to wow your family!
For the Spinach Gratin
- 4 packages frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cup warm whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
For the Panko Topping
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 1/12 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, minced
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat, cook the onions with the butter until the onions are translucent and tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir together for one minute.
- Pour in 3 cups of warm milk, and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir to incorporate.
- Turn off the heat and add the mozzarella cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted completely and a cheese sauce has formed.
- Add the thawed and drained spinach into the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish.
- Make the panko topping. In a medium-size bowl, mix together the melted butter, panko, salt, garlic and parsley until the panko is coated with butter and spices.
- Sprinkle the panko topping across the top of the spinach mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake at 375 ˚F for 30 minutes until panko is golden brown and the gratin is bubbly.
Note: If making this dish in advance, follow all of the above steps. Let the dish cool completely before covering with foil and place in the fridge. When ready to serve, remove from the fridge one hour prior to cooking. Warm through at 300˚F for 45-60 minutes, covered.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.