The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
One bite is all it takes to increase your intake of superfoods!
If you’re a snacker, energy balls are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising on nutrition. Bite-size and most often made from a base of oats with honey or peanut butter as a sticky binder, they can be easily customized with your favorite add-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, seeds and dried fruit. Even better, they can be made in bulk and stored in the fridge or freezer all week, so when your belly growls between meals, you have something convenient and healthy to hold you over.
Energy balls are inherently nutritious, but this recipe takes the health factor to the next level with a sprinkle of spirulina powder. Rapidly gaining popularity in the Wellness space, spirulina is a naturally nutritious blue-green algae that grows in warm lakes (don’t worry, it doesn’t taste fishy in this recipe!). It is one of the world’s most concentrated sources of functional nutrients including protein, chlorophyll, trace minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. Available under the Bare Organics brand in Heinen’s Wellness Department, a few teaspoons are all it takes to benefit your immune system, energy levels, vitality and detoxification. It also gives these energy balls an eye-catching blue-green hue!
Combined with rolled oats, almond butter, two types of seeds and dark chocolate chips, snaking on superfoods has never been so satisfying!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 16 Energy Balls
- ½ cup Heinen’s creamy natural almond butter
- ¼ cup Heinen’s raw honey
- 1½ Tbsp. Heinen’s coconut oil
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup Go Raw sprouted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup Garden of Life 100% organic milled flaxseed
- 2 tsp. Bare Organics spirulina powder
- ¼ cup Equal Exchange 70% cacao chocolate chips
- A pinch of sea salt
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond butter, honey, coconut oil and salt.
- Add the oats, pumpkin seeds, milled flaxseed, spirulina powder and dark chocolate chips. Mix well to combine.
- Scoop out about 1½ Tbsp. of the mixture and roll it into a ball. Place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat until all of the mixture if used.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes until firm.