The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
April showers bring MY pizza! I think that’s how the saying goes…
Spring is here and fittingly there is snow outside as I write this, welcome to Ohio! Soon the snow will be gone for good and brunch season will be in full swing. Time to practice those brunch crunches. What’s a brunch crunch, you ask? It’s the act of throwing back mimosas with one hand and eating all the food with the other!
I’m sure you’ve caught on by now that I’m making a spring brunch pizza! The recipe is super simple and comes together in just a few minutes. If brunch isn’t your style, try this for date night or an easy weeknight dinner. Pick up some premade dough from Heinen’s and you are 15 minutes away from pizza. Honestly, I’m not sure you can whip up a tastier meal in 15 minutes.
This pie also features some of my favorite Heinen’s products! First, we have their thick-cut bacon. Without a doubt, this is the best bacon I’ve ever had. This recipe also features Heinen’s new organic cage-free eggs. Brunch isn’t brunch without eggs, so I topped this pizza with a creamy egg for maximum flavor. Eggs on pizza used to make me scratch my head, but it really works!
The star of this show is the pesto. I always use Heinen’s organic basil as the base of my pesto. It comes from a local farm in Ohio and its aroma is mesmerizing. Classically, pesto is made with pine nuts, but today I featured walnuts because they’re readily available and perfectly priced. The texture and flavor is very similar, but choose which ever you like!
Spring Fling? No way, this is a recipe you’ll be loving for the rest of time! Let’s eat!
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Pizza
- 1 package of premade pizza dough
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 package of Heinen’s thick-cut bacon, cooked
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 package of fresh mozzarella
- 1 Heinen’s organic cage free egg
- Garlic salt, optional
For the Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon according to the package instructions. Set aside and break into small pieces when cool.
- Before making the pesto, remove the pizza dough from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Add the basil and walnuts to a food processor. Blend.
- Add the remaining pesto ingredients except for the olive oil and crushed red pepper. Blend. Slowly add the oil. Add more or less until the desired thickness is reached. Add the crushed red pepper and stir. Set aside.
- Grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and place the premade dough in the center.
- Spread the dough to cover the base of the skillet.
- Spread ½ cup of pesto evenly on the dough. Add more if desired, or save the rest to dip the crust in.
- Top with 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, sliced cherry tomatoes, bacon and fresh mozzarella.
- Crack an egg right in the middle! For a runny yolk, crack the egg on the pizza with 7 minutes remaining in the cook time. Sprinkle the crust with garlic salt and/or more freshly grated cheese.
- Place on the bottom rack of the preheated oven and bake for 13 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Remove from the oven and top with freshly chopped basil. Serve with extra pesto and pair with mimosas (brunch’s BFF!).