Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Start your morning off right with this delicious, easy-to-make Dutch Baby loaded with fresh, sliced stone fruit.
What is a Dutch Baby?
A Dutch Baby, also known as a German pancake, is a deliciously light and airy pancake that climbs up the sides of the pan when cooked in the oven. To me, its very similar to a soufflé, and the best part is that you can add as many toppings as you’d like. This is one of my favorite things to make on the weekend. Its always a big hit with the family.
Dutch Baby Toppings
These German pancakes are incredibly versatile when it comes to toppings. I prefer whipped cream, powdered sugar and fruit, but you can also add toppings like honey or maple syrup.
Since stone fruit is starting to roll through the door at Heinen’s, I knew it would be perfect to top off this Dutch Baby. Heinen’s always carries the best selection of fresh, seasonal produce, and let me just say, the peaches that they have right now are so sweet.
Here are my favorite toppings for a Dutch Baby:
- Yellow Peaches
- White Peaches
- Whipped Cream
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make a Dutch Baby
This recipe doesn’t even require a whisk and a bowl. All you do is add all of the batter ingredients to a blender and mix on high speed for 20-30 seconds. Once mixed, I like to set it to the side at room temperature while I preheat the cast-iron skillet in the oven at 425°F.
Once the oven is preheated, remove the pan, add butter and as soon as it melts, pour in the batter. From there, place the pan in the oven and let it cook for 20 minutes. Once it’s done, top it with as many delicious toppings as you can and eat it immediately.
I can’t say it enough, this recipe is awesome and so easy to make. Have fun cooking!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Dutch Baby
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
For the Toppings
- White peaches, pitted and sliced
- Yellow peaches, pitted and sliced
- Nectarines, pitted and sliced
- Apricots, pitted and sliced
- Whipped cream
- Sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar
- Add a 10-inch cast-iron pan to an oven and preheat to 425°F.
- In the meantime, add the eggs, flour, milk, vanilla and sugar to a blender and blend on high speed for 20-30 seconds until smooth. Set aside until the pan is preheated.
- Remove the pan and add butter. As soon as it melts, pour in the batter and bake at 425°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch Baby from the oven and add toppings of choice.